Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Reflecting back

Well, I've been in my home for 6 weeks now and was reflecting back over everything in the last year and a bit since I started the whole house buying process. I've learned so much over that time period. Thanks to those who have been reading my blog and introducing yourselves to me. I'm glad that you're finding the information useful and am more than happy to share the knowledge that I have gained.

One of the reasons for this entry is that I've been hearing about people's frustrations over the whole buying experience with Mattamy lately. Whether it be countless delays, lack of communication or just poor construction quality of their home. I can definitely sympathize with them as buying a home is supposed to be an exciting experience, not a journey of frustrations and disappointment. Fortunately, my whole buying experience was actually pretty darn good from beginning to end. I experienced no delays and am quite happy with the delivered product. Sure, there are a number of things that still need to be done with my house but it's not anything major that would prevent me from enjoying my house. Now if I were in the shoes of those experiencing delays or a poorly constructed house, I can understand their reactions. When I bought my house, I basically prepared for delays based on the countless stories I've read on forums and newspapers. Anytime there was a remote chance of a delay, I got into defensive mode ready to unleash some wrath on someone. But thankfully it did not happen.

Post closing service hasn't been as good. It seems that the responsibility falls on the owner to stay on top of Mattamy to get something outstanding done even though they tell you that it will be done. I had to call three times before they finally scheduled a plumber to fix a leak in the master ensuite which was dripping down to the dining room ceiling. The hole in the ceiling still needs to be fixed and is scheduled for next week. Talking to my neighbours, they are experiencing the same type of service. One neighbour was telling me the other day that workers showed up in the morning and started some work but never came back after lunch to finish it. I'm hoping that my 30-day list will be addressed fairly promptly. I may end up doing some of it myself in the end.

So what would I do differently now that I've been in it for a month and a half? Here's a short list:
- I didn't need to add an additional porch electrical outlet as it does come with one standard (I was told it didn't come with one);
- did not need the upgraded circuit panel box (it's huge when a standard one would have sufficed);
- probably could have gotten away with two potlights in the kitchen instead of getting four;
- did not need the over-the-tub light in the master bathroom as there is a standard light fixture near the toilet area (was told there wasn't one)
- should have added a couple of potlights in the master bedroom but I can do this later
- should have gotten the maple railings to match the floor better. The oak railings have a lot more wood grains in it and doesn't match as well
- in the great room and master bedroom, there are three windows but only one opens (casement window). I wished that the one on the opposite side would open too. But I'm not sure if this is even an option as it's not in the design centre catalogue
- I should have paid closer attention to the positioning of the light outlet in the kitchen area and dining room. They aren't exactly over where I put my tables.

Pickiness:
- no real windows at the front of the house on the main floor. Only one is in the powder room which is down a few stairs and in its own room. The only window is the front door so not much light comes in. But I realize that this is very typical of townhomes in general
- still not sure about upstairs laundry room
- don't like the railing configuration on the porch

What do I really like about the house?
- love the kitchen, I'm so glad I got the Executive Kitchen upgrade. I think it looks fantastic
- raised breakfast bar -> I think it looks good and like how it hides some of the kitchen stuff that I keep on the counters (e.g. dish rack, dish soap)
- colours - I'm quite happy with all of my choices for cabinets, flooring countertops, etc. They seem to work well with each other
- master ensuite shower -> love taking showers in it, it's very spacious
- main bathroom -> I like having windows and bringing in natural light into it

Overall, I love my house. Also helps that I've met some great people so far and really believe it's going to be a great neighbourhood.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

I'm so glad you are enjoying your new digs! I'm hoping for the best outcome for myself.

derem said...

Good short list! :) Sorry to hear about the post issues, I hope they will get there act together at some point :S

sarah.tolledo said...

Glad you're loving your home. By the way, it was finally great meeting you! Dennis and I can't wait to move in. Only 2 months and 2 weeks to go. lol.