Thursday, August 20, 2009

Covering Wonderings

Okay, I've come to the realization that I really need to finish off the window coverings for the rest of the house. For the powder room, two smaller bedrooms and main bathroom, I got faux wood blinds from Bou Clair Home. They will cut them to the proper width and you can trim the length (which I still need to do). However, for my great room and master bedroom, they didn't have blinds wide enough to fit. So, I'm still in need of some. I was thinking of getting something a little more fancier like the sheer weave with blinds. But those are VERY expensive (e.g. approx $1200 just to do the great room window). So I need to find something more affordable. A friend suggested just going with curtains in the great room which I am leaning towards. But I still want to have some light control to allow some light in, reducing glare on the tv and give privacy. So I'm thinking of adding a sheer curtain, sheer roller blind or getting more faux wood blinds. And then there's the challenge of finding something that will look good. I seriously need some help here. I've been feeling dumbfounded any time I go to a store looking for decorative ideas. I seriously should just give some money to some of my female friends and tell them to go decorate my house. Martha Stewart (is she still considered a guru?), I am not (I pay my taxes).

And then there's the patio door. Again, I want something to control lighting while providing some privacy. For this, I'm leaning towards vertical blinds. I realize that they don't look the greatest but they will be much more functional and convenient that putting curtains.

I'm open to ideas so please feel free to comment. And if you see a guy shopping for window coverings with a clueless look on his face, chances are that's me. :)

1 comment:

Sarah said...

By the way Home Depot has a 20% off promotion going on right now. You may want to check that out. Also I was reading in a Style At Home Magazine about how the sun can damage furniture, so they gave a SPF guide for your windows. Anyway, here's the article if you are interested.