Wednesday, August 5, 2009

2nd Floor Laundry Room: An Inconvenient Truth?

I've read and heard from people how they love having their laundry room on the second floor. My house is so equipped and even when I had decided to buy the Fernwater, I wondered if I really liked that idea. So far I've done about four loads of laundry since moving in. The last one was the biggest and had two loads to do. I tend to do my laundry at night time just because that's when I have the time. Also doesn't hurt that energy costs are lower too in the evenings.

My particular laundry room is not super big. It fits my Samsung laundry pair fine. But there's not much room to do much else. With the doors on the machines open, there isn't much room afterwards. In my prior home, having the washing machines in the basement allowed me to do all the sorting downstairs. I basically just made two piles of laundry on the basement floor and then scooped them into the laundry machine when it was their turn. Furthermore, the basement provides space to hang dry those items that don't go in the dryer. I don't have that luxury anymore. I plan on hanging a wall cabinet (similar to the "uppers" that Mattamy offers in some of their homes but strangely enough not on mine) and then a closet bar in my laundry room above the machines which should help alleviate this problem.



The other negative of the second floor laundry is noise. Mind you, my Samsung pair works quite well (more on that later) but the noise from the water lines and then the dryer is still quite noticeable. I was worried that the noise and vibration would be heard by my neighbour who has a bedroom on the opposite wall. But he said he couldn't hear or feel anything so that's good to know. I did upgrade to a solid door to the laundry room and it does make a pretty noticeable difference. But the noise still travels through the adjacent bedrooms in my house. And I can notice it from the master bedroom as well.

A quick review of my Samsung laundry pair. The VRT (Vibration Reduction Technology) in the washer works quite well. When the washer enters the spin cycle, it does a really good job of balancing itself out and is pretty quiet. And it spins fast. Items come out not too wet but items can tend to twist up. Also, I'll need to figure out if my shirts are getting flipped inside out by the machine or whether they went in there that way. One thing I did notice about the washer is that a little water still sits in the rubber ring opening. With my last front loader, this could lead to mold growing if it sits there for a long time. I solve this by wiping it down and then keeping the washer door open. The dryer seems to work well too but really there's not that much technology involved in making a dryer work. It looks pretty next to the washer and does its job. Not much more to say. On a related note, my neighbour has a gas dryer. Says it only takes 20 mins to run a dry cycle.

To wrap up, it could be that a slightly bigger room would be better for me but then I think that I'd prefer more bedroom space. I also miss having a laundry tub nearby. I realize that there will be noise from the laundry machines regardless where they are. So, I may just have to schedule my laundering at better times and just change up my laundry routine (i.e. sort before going into the laundry room). We'll see how it goes as I do more laundry. It is nice not having to lug the laundry baskets downstairs but that never really bothered me. Maybe as I get older (maybe I am already with my rants?), I'll really appreciate the convenience but for now the jury is still out.

No comments: