Thursday, September 3, 2009

30-Day Tarion List

I had submitted my 30-day list to Tarion and Mattamy on August 14th. Today I met with Adam from the Mattamy warranty office to review my list. I had a total of 55 items on my list which was comprised of the items noted by my home inspector as well as additional items that I added.

The way the warranty process was described to me was that we would review each item on the list to ensure that all items are warrantable. If something isn't warrantable, they will explain why. All the other items will be transferred to a work order. If a trades needs to be brought in, they will make the arrangements. Otherwise, it will be Adam and his team that will do the work. I would sign off on items that are not going to be fixed. It sounded like Mattamy has reorganized its warranty department and how they operate. I've read/heard of people not being happy with the service that they had received in the past so maybe this is a move to improve customer satisfaction.

Overall, the review went very well. Adam was very pleasant to deal with. I was actually preparing myself for a bunch of excuses as to why they wouldn't fix items on my list. But even for items that were sort of iffy, he said that he would still leave them on the work order. Most of the items, Adam responded with a "no problem, we'll get that fixed". I had noted that touch-ups were needed from the pdi and he said that he'd even fix damage that I caused during my move in. He also added to the list as he noticed that there was a seam in the carpet in office that really stood out.

From my list, there were a few items which were noted as to monitor and revisit at the one year list, namely the deflection in the floor in the master bedroom, floor squeaks in the upper hallway (which weren't squeaking during the appointment). Other stuff like grading, sod, driveway will be done obviously when the other houses get done but I still had noted them on my list. Everything else should hopefully be fixed. The next step is that Mattamy will make arrangements to come in and do the repairs. They will try to schedule everything all together so that they can get it done at one time.

So a good experience today. Hopefully it wasn't just all words and that they will deliver on the repairs in a timely fashion.

4 comments:

derem said...

let us know how it goes (30day), thus far the restructure of the "warranty" has not be a plausible experience for us!

:)

Shan1214 said...

nice to hear everything went well with you and warranty. this gives me a glimmer of hope when MY time comes! :-D

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if anyone has had issues with their fireplace. (ie a cold breeze coming from the bottom or top) Please let me know I AM CURIOUS!!!!

Fernwater@HMB said...

Well, I don't have a fireplace so can't really comment. But I imagine that there shouldn't be any drafts coming in through the fireplace.