Monday, June 22, 2009

My first unexpected surprise

So I went to visit my house this past weekend. Things are really coming along. When I was there, there were a couple of workers finishing off the ceramic tiling in the master ensuite. One guy told me it was okay to come in so I did! The ceramic tiling in the front foyer, kitchen, powder room and main bathroom was all done. The drywall was complete and painted. All of the trim was dropped off. On the outside, the siding is complete and the porch railings are installed. Now here's the unexpected surprise. If you look at the picture above, you'll see there are railings on the left and right side. I was expecting not to have the railing on the left and a longer railing on the right so that you could walk straight into the house after stepping onto the porch. Here's a picture of what I thought it would look like:
Thinking that they screwed up on my railing, I contacted Mattamy customer care and sent them the two photos. They responded quickly saying that they checked the architect design and there was no error with the railing. And they also pointed out that in the product brochure, it shows that the Elevation B unit like mine is shown to have the railings on both sides. Sure enough, I rechecked the product brochure and it does indeed show that. Mattamy said they would not change it.

I don't really like this design. First off, it can be a bit of a pain to moving big stuff in and out of the house. Secondly, I was planning on putting a couple of patio chairs on the right side to make a little bit of a sitting area. Now, it will seem weird having on of the chairs in the middle right where the step is. There's nothing that I can do right now. I guess I could see if I can change out the railing after I close. Not sure how much that would cost though. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

No comments: