Sunday, May 10, 2009

Genie Excelerator Garage Door Opener

I pulled the trigger on a garage door opener. I went with the Genie Excelerator. It is a screw-drive type garage door opener. What's unique about this one is that it opens the garage door at twice the speed. Nice if you're the impatient type. :) It closes at "regular" speeds and has a soft stop when it gets to the end. I never heard of screw-drive openers until I saw one at my friend's place. He's had his Excelerator for almost five years and has had no problems. It's also very quiet which is a critical factor for me as there is a bedroom right above the garage so I want to minimize the amount of noise that can be heard from inside. I'm not sure if a belt-drive is quieter but I think they're pretty close. I may replace the rollers of the garage door to the nylon type to try to make it even quieter. I bought the Genie at Canadian Tire, it was on sale for $270 from a regular price of $350. It comes with two remotes, wall control and a wireless external keypad.

No comments: