Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Happy Holidays!

Wow, it's been a LONG time since I've updated my blog. Sorry about that. It's partly due to not having anything really interesting to post about and also just being busy. My house was to the point where I've been enjoying it the last while. I still have to find window coverings for my patio door and bedroom. But my dining room table arrived. I ordered a custom Bermex table through the Bay. At the time it was 25% off plus another 10% off for opening an HBC account. The quality of Bermex products are very good. You can really feel the difference in the finish and the assembly is very solid. I know that my table is going to last me a very very long time. Of course, you have to pay for it and can be quite pricey. But I like how I got a table with the dimensions that I wanted. One feature that I really like is that the leaf stores underneath the table. Plus the mechanism to extend the table is really easy to use.

I splurged on the dining room table but had to cut back on the chairs. I ordered my dining room chairs from Costco.ca. I got six of them for the price of what it would have costed me to buy three chairs through Bermex. They're comfortable, look nice and match well with my dining table.

Here's a pic of my dining room (don't mind the messes on the side). The the end table is just in its temporary home as my Xmas tree has taken over its regular spot.

So while I have been enjoying my house, I encountered a problem with my house. Last Tuesday, the sink faucet in the main bathroom wasn't working. I found that odd given that the tub and toilet were working fine. I opened up the vanity underneath and it was really cold. Turns out the lines were frozen. So I called Mattamy warranty in the next morning and Adam came by shortly afterwards. He confirmed the frozen pipes and said there is air leakage coming in. He cut a few holes in the ceiling on the main level near the front entrance and immediately can feel a cold draft coming in. He originally thought it was coming in from the front because there was a strong wind hitting directly the front of the house. So he called in some trades to take apart the soffit. It actually turned out that the air leakage was coming in from the garage. So he called in a few of his crew and they cut out some drywall in the garage and sealed up the leak with insulation. The faucet is working fine again and the floors aren't nearly as cold as they were before. Mattamy just needs to come by to patch up the holes which I said could wait until the new year because they were all getting ready to go off from their holidays. All in all, another good experience with the warranty office.

Happy Holidays and Happy New Year to everyone!

No comments: